Mental Health First Aid Courses in Brisbane run by our Accredited ‘Principal Master’ Mental Health First Aid Instructors.
Upcoming Public Face to Face MHFA Courses in Mitchelton:
Do you have a private group interested in a course? We arrange training for groups in your place of work. Please call us on 07 3355 6688 to discuss potential dates outside of what is listed above.
If you were faced with someone who was in the midst of a mental health crisis or experiencing an emerging mental illness, would you know what to do?
Our 12-hour Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) course teaches adults how to provide support to adults who are experiencing a mental health crisis or developing a mental illness (e.g. the person is suicidal or has had a traumatic experience).
Just like physical first aid and the related courses, Mental Health First Aid is applied until the crisis resolves or that person undertakes professional help. Mental Health First Aid strategies are taught in evidence-based training courses authored by Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) Australia and delivered by accredited MHFA Instructors across the country. The Career Development Centre’s head trainer and counsellor, Tina Winchester is an accredited Mental Health First Aid instructor.
This course is not just for the workplace however, it is also suitable for work colleagues, parents, friends or anyone who may be experiencing mental health issues. The tools and skills gained can provide early intervention and support to someone who can then be referred on for professional treatment.
Mental health crisis situations covered are:
- Suicidal thoughts and behaviours
- Traumatic events
- Severe effects of drug or alcohol use
- Severe psychotic states
- Aggressive behaviour
- Non-suicidal self-injury (sometimes called deliberate self-harm)
- Panic attacks
Developing mental health problems covered are:
- Anxiety problems
- Substance use problems
Did You Know:
- Did you know that 45% of Australians between the ages of 16-85 will experience a mental health condition in their lifetime? (Source ABS)
- It is estimated that untreated mental health conditions cost Australian workplaces approximately $10.9 billion per year and work-related mental stress Workers Compensation claims have doubled in recent years.
- By 2020, the World Health Organisation estimates that depression will be the second leading cause of disability worldwide
Upon completion of the course you will receive a copy of the Standard MHFA Manual to keep and a Certificate of Completion.
*Source: 2007 National Survey of Mental Health & Wellbeing
Book Your Mental Health First Aid Course in Brisbane
Real Mental Health First Aider Testimonials
*please note, all attendees are encouraged to submit anonymous feedback to Mental Health First Aid post the course delivery, therefore names cannot be viewed or published, only the feedback itself.